Sunday, May 5, 2013

Teaching Kids to Combat Today's Evils

How to raise my kids in this world of bombings, shootings, terrorism, natural disasters, and wars is something that has been on my mind a lot lately. My thoughts really started after the Sandyhook Elementary School shooting. After reading about the Boston Marathon bombings and the man hunt that followed, I could not sleep. I want my kids to grow up in a world of happiness, hope, love, and kindness. I felt like this was impossible.

I was so devastated for those who were hurt directly or indirectly by these tragedies. I was disgusted by those who used the tragedies to further their political or personal agendas. I was angry with those who participated in horrible arguments and judgements in cyber discussions. I was frustrated that the media would not just cover the story as it was, without adding their own spin on things.

Thankfully my prayers for understanding and direction were answered pretty quickly. It started with a few posts I saw in Facebook, and then I started to do a little Internet searching. What I found was wonderful.

I found a picture of man who despite his own horrific trials was at the Boston Marathon to spread kindness and love. When he heard the bombs go off he ran towards the explosions to help. In the picture he is clasping an artery closed of man who had his legs blown off. The man's life was spared.

I read a story of a mother who was running in the marathon about a mile from the finish line when the bombs went off. She knew her family was close to the bombs. She was diverted away from the finish line. When she finally confirmed her family was alright she fell apart, overcome with emotion. A man who finished the race and his wife came to check on this woman. He gave her his marathon medal.

I saw a picture of a police officer bringing milk to a family with young children. They had been on lockdown and had run out of milk. This really hits home for me, as my kids would not make it more than an hour or two without milk.

I found a news report if a couple who had lost their daughter in the school shooting. They had reached out the the father of the shooter. Something that as a parent I would find nearly impossible.

I found a wonderful quote by Mr. Rogers "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

Lastly, I read a blog post by Ashley Sullenger at Sullengers.com entitle Boston Love. She wrote about not being able to protect her son from all the evils of the world, but instead teaching him to "counteract evil with kindness."

I concluded that it is very possible to raise my kids in a world of happiness, hope, love, and kindness. I have to teach them to look for the good, and wherever possible to be the good. As long as there are still people doing good in this world the evil will not win over.

I also decided that I would need to do a lot more to teach my kids about service. Since I have been telling them a lot about babies, their own births, and NICUs I decided to have them help me with baby leggings (cover babies' legs to help keep them warm without interfering with the monitors, tubes, and IVs) for the babies in the NICU where Hanna stayed after she was born. The kids helped me pick out the socks, place bows on the legs for girls, organize and deliver them. It was a lot of fun, and the kids did great with it.


I look forward to many more service projects with our family.
Posted by Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment